Have a drink. It might help that mortis attitude of yours.

Friday, March 03, 2006

Suiting up with Spider-man

So in case you have been living under a rock or in some dark cave you should know two things 1) Mandisa deserves to be the next American Idol (I'm watching the show for the first time ever and finding myself hooked) and 2) Peter Parker has got himself a new suit.



Now, I am not going to be one of those people who goes storming the Marvel offices with pitchforks and torches. I am all for a costume change, hell I was even cool with Daredevil's new duds that he sported mid-90's. If I was a superhero I would want to shake it up every three or four years. Who wants to wear the same super threads his entire career? You've got to change with the times. Thank god Nightwing did or we would still be seeing that high collar. I say go with the costume change.

No my beef with this new outfit is that it comes very close to taking away the things that make Spider-man...well Spider-man. Spider-man isn't a gliding, thermal spectrum seeing, bullet taking type of superhero. He is just a kid who got bit by a spider, got some powers and knew he had to step up to the plate. Peter Parker as a hero is defined more by the powers he doesn't have than the powers that he does have. He can't fly so he swings, making him very city dependent. Come on how many times have you loved seeing him hitch a ride on a car? Now, who needs buildings?

Spider-man is not invulnerable. In fact quite frequently he gets his ass handed to him. I'm talking beat. We've seen him break bones, get concussions, get his eye ripped out and eaten and most recently we've seen him KILLED. Yet, he always gets up and comes back for another licking. He is even more of a hero for it and we love him for doing so. Now he can just turn around and let himself take one in the spine because it's cool. His new armor will protect him. No more acrobatics, no more dodging while shouting clever quips. Just Spidey yawning while getting hit by bullets from all directions. Rob a character of the challenges that he has been facing for his whole career he will start to get boring. The character will become weaker and eventually be a shell of his former self.

I don't think the costume will stick. I have a feeling that sometime during Civil War Peter is going to feel played and throw his costume in Iron Man's face. Then it'll be back to the red and blue again and maybe some wistful, "I wish I was still bulletproof." comments. I do hop this happens because the Marvel Universe is already has a fast talking, flying, armored jerk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home