Have a drink. It might help that mortis attitude of yours.

Thursday, April 19, 2007

A Repost for a Reason

So exactly one month from today I am getting married. Yes, yes it's quite the plunge I know. But my girl is totally worth it. Anyway, back in December I made a request to everyone out there in Internetland in regards to a gift for my wife to be. I thought given that I've hit the thirty day mark I would go ahead and give it a shot.

"I’m taking a break from writing about comics for this post to talk about something a little more important. I know what you’re thinking? What could be more important than comics? Read on.

So next May I’m getting married; yeah I’ve found the one. When we were putting our budget together and under the list of things was “Gifts to each other.” The bride and groom are supposed to give each other presents? Yes. Traditionally the man gets a fancy “dress” watch and the woman a pair of diamond earrings. Both of us work in schools so you can guess how little money we make as a pair, thus gifts to each other were cut out.

This hasn’t sat well with me though. I’m not exactly the most together person, just not. One time I broke a cash register at a supermarket…I was twenty-one and a customer. But since she came along I’m a lot better. She pushed me to go for my Masters, calms me down, and listens to hours of my comic/cult film/video game talk even though she has no idea what I’m saying. Why does she listen? She’s just one of those people with no malice in her heart, who loves everyone for who they are, and goes out of her way for her students, family and friends. She’s the best, she’s my center. And just saying this everyday doesn’t feel like enough. That does not mean, however, that I can afford a pair of diamond earrings.

And this is where you come in people out there in Internetland. See her last name is Chick (I shit you not) so guess what she collects? We have adorable yellow birds doing adorable things (like singing) and not so adorable things (like flipping the finger). So I had this idea: get as many drawings of a chick wearing a hat (just go with it) as possible. Print it out of nice paper, have it bound nicely and bam thoughtful present.

Here’s the problem: I can’t draw. Not worth a penny. So if you can draw— hell even if you can’t— and you feel like helping a guy out with a present send it to Thosewednesdays@gmail.com. I can’t pay you, but someday you can call on me for a favor…I don’t know.

I don’t care what else is going on in the picture if you feel inclined to make it elaborate. I mean it could be a monster chick in a hat destroying Tokyo. Just remember that I will be giving it to her on our wedding day so have some level of respect. Thanks to everyone who helps out in advance."


So there it is. In the four months since that time I've got one picture.


Thanks Carl.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you don't mind, but I posted this on Blog@Newsarama to try to drum up some more drawings for you.

http://blog.newsarama.com/2007/04/24/you-paint-a-funny-face-like-a-chick/#comments

10:15 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.nearmintheroes.org/images/chickegg.gif

If you like it, then let me know what high res file format you need to have for printing purposes and I'll send it to you.

11:10 AM

 
Blogger matt? said...

Even though I'm an awful artist, I'd really like to help you out with this. The only problem is that I don't have a scanner, and I don't really like drawing on the computer. How can I, and all the Luddites like me, help contribute to this wonderful idea?

12:06 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its too good. I also have planned to gift something to my wife from CouponAlbum site on our first wedding anniversary.

12:54 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home