Have a drink. It might help that mortis attitude of yours.

Friday, May 04, 2007

Reaching Your Limit: Spider-Man 3

So I was contemplating not writing this. I am a firm believer, especially with movies, in letting a person form an opinion without too much of my views interfering. I mean, I can tell you guys out there in Internetland that I didn’t enjoy my movie going experience without laying on why. But the Spider-Man 3 really riled me up so I’m going to have to. I’m going to start this whole thing with a simple fact. Daredevil was better. Whoa, right? I know.


People tend to judge their movies by genre. You can get away with things in a mystery that you can’t and vice versa. That’s why we have genres to help us in our expectations. However, on all levels the movie does not work. First let’s look at how the movie is just as a movie.

The acting is terrible. I hear the bill for this catastrophe was somewhere around five-hundred million dollars, bet you three-fourths of that went to eye drops. Truly, there was more crying in this movie than in Identity Crisis, Superman/Batman and Civil War combined. I bet Raimi said, “And now you’re crying” so many times that it was like his mantra for the film. He also chose to represent Parker’s descent with a hairstyle. In fact, they wasted precious film time just to show Peter pushing his hair down in front of his eyes. I half expected him to start singing “Screaming Infidelities.”

Clocking in at over two hours the movie was in serious need of some editing, say seventy-five percent of that movie could have been taken out. There was another walking sequence, there was an omelet making sequence, which led into one of the two dance sequences. Two dance sequences! When did Peter Parker learn to play the piano and swing like he was Jim Carey in The Mask? The fight sequences were something else, all the computerized jumps and swings and punches but I couldn’t focus on anything. Yes, I know that is how it would be in real life, confusing and hard to follow. This is a movie though; so slow it down so we can see how cool the moves are. If not you just get a headache causing blur.

Now, you are probably saying, “But Ben, this is a comic movie so we can deal with some bad movie making.” I’ll agree to that. Fantastic Four was a poorly acted, poorly written flick but I thought it true to the characters from the book. See, that’s what you need from a comic movie: a true representation of the character. You can change Dr. Doom’s origin, you can give Batman nipples, and you can even have Billy Zane shooting the swords out of pirate’s hands as long as you hold true to the core of the hero. Peter Parker is anything but a hero in this film. Before he puts on the symbiote he is a douche, an uncaring, self-centered narcissist who can’t see past his mirror. Now it’s been a while since I’ve consistently read any monthly Spider titles but he has always struck me as the type of character that, when he is home, always has time for his family and friends. Not so in this flick. It’s all about him. Give him organic webshooters, no problem. Let Flint Marko be responsible for Uncle Ben’s death, sure. But don’t take away the character’s center, don’t take away his ability to be a hero.

You know who is the true hero in this movie? Harry Osborn. His arc is the most engaging, the most human. He falls into madness and then climbs, rung by rung, back up. There is no excuse of an evil space parasite, just one man coming to terms with his past. And even then Harry’s loving butler had to tell him to be good. Anytime, a secondary comes across as more heroic than your protagonist you’ve got some writing issues. Just look at James Marsden in Superman Returns.

As I was walking out of the theater at 2:30 this morning, I heard some behind me say that it was a B- film. When his buddy said that it was more like a C-, the guy responded with, “It’s a kids’ film.” That’s wrong, you don’t make a PG-13 movie with scary, big-teeth villains for kids. Also, there are great movies for children out there, movies that have fun plots, excellent characters, humor and hope. Toy Story, Shrek, the damn Goonies are great examples. Don’t let a perceived intended audience be an excuse for a film.

Finally, just as we were about to go out the front doors I heard another person say, “If they had just edited out everything and made a forty-five minute fight between everyone that would have been awesome.” Maybe, but that isn’t a movie. That is a boxing match. There were a lot of things they could have done to make the movie better. They just chose not to do any of them.


Look, even Spidey is hanging his head in shame.

3 Comments:

Blogger Devon Sanders said...

This movie made my penis soft.

6:10 PM

 
Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

Great review ... I'm not sure I could go so far as to say it's worse than Daredevil, but it's certainly close .. I guess that's what happens when you let your brothers write a $250 million movie!

5:55 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think superhero movies have been going through this same unfortunate bout of navel-gazing. I mean, look at Superman Returns or the last X-Men. Pitifully few super-fights, far too much weepy introspection.

- N.

4:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home