Have a drink. It might help that mortis attitude of yours.

Monday, June 04, 2007

PILGRIM POWER!

So this year’s Harvey Award Nominations are out and you know what? Bryan Lee O’Malley's Scott Pilgrim & The Infinite Sadness got three nominations! That ties him with Bryan K. Vaughn’s work for nominations. While this isn’t the most, Uncle Scrooge really cleaned up, I would say this is huge.

Now I know you can’t vote unless you’re “involved in a creative capacity within the comics field” which keeps me out of the whole thing. Which is a shame but totally understandable. You know, I respect the SAG awards more than the Oscars because the people in the industry choose them; same thing goes for the Harveys. So until this MFA in Creative Writing pays off, I’ll just say if you can vote, really throw down for this comic. It’s funny and meaningful with tons of quirks, insights, and nerdy references. Pride of Baghdad and American Born Chinese are also awesome nominations in the Best Graphic Album – Original category, but I’m a Scott Slave to the core. Besides, he didn’t win anything when he was nominated in 2005, so I say give the man his due.

Also, with this many nominations perhaps O’Malley will come to Baltimore this year and I’ll be able to fulfill my dream of buying him a beer, or at least shaking his hand. Course, then I couldn’t wash my hand ever again. Hey, what’s a little hygiene issue when it comes to meeting one of your idols?

Also I’d like to throw in two other votes.

Matthew Loux for Sidescrollers in the Best New Talent category.

The comic is just downright fun. About three friends trying to keep the new girl from going out on a date with a jerky jock, the comic is a John Hughes film with semantic discussion, Street Fighter talk and devil cats. Big thumbs up.

In the Best Anthology category, I’m going to say Flight Vol. 3.

I picked it up last week and it’s gorgeous. I mean look at this.


How freaking adorable is that? Also it’s one of the few book that I actually had to fight from wife's hands. For getting her to read a comic it should win automatically.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that Scot Pilgrim is worthy of an award, but as a big Academy Awards geek I need to point that the Oscars are voted on by industry professionals too. They're awarded by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, "a professional honorary organization of over 6,000 motion picture professionals." Perhaps you're confusing the Oscars with the Golden Globes, which are given out by entertainment journalists.

10:24 AM

 
Blogger Benhatt said...

Right, right. That's what I meant.

11:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home