Have a drink. It might help that mortis attitude of yours.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I Love Rivalries

Stay with me for just a minute.

When I was young, my father and I went up to Philadelphia to watch the Phillies play the Dodgers. Now, I don’t know how much about baseball everyone knows, but the Phillies have the greatest mascot ever: The Philly Fanatic. He’s kind of like this annoying, spastic, bird muppet on a four-wheeler. Now, in this particular game the Fanatic took a bunch of canisters of Ultra Slim-Fast, featuring Dodger coach Tommy Lasorda, and smashed them with a giant mallet. I don’t think anyone cheered louder than me that day.
I love rivalries, the taunts, teases, and jibes.

Fast forward to today and the rivalry between DC and Marvel. It’s fun to watch the two companies poke at each other. Loeb has Superman and Batman take on a version of the Marvel heroes and so on. It’s Marvel Zombies vs. the DC Nation. Most recently in Superman we had this panel.


A bunch of teenage New Gods building headquarters on top of Metropolis skyscrapers. You know who else built a base on top of a tower?


The Sentry. Ah, Marvel’s resident superpower compared to a bunch of petulant, childish cosmic beings. Zing!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is good to see someone recognize the charms of the Phillies Phanatic. The Phillies don't provide many trips to the playoffs, but Phanatic is always there.

11:22 AM

 
Blogger JOHNNY ZITO said...

You had me at Phanatic.

Good observation.

1:20 PM

 
Blogger Rob S. said...

More love for the Phanatic from these quarters.

(And I thought that tower looked familiar -- nice observation.)

2:46 PM

 
Blogger Yonatan said...

hmm [strokes chin]

1:07 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home