Have a drink. It might help that mortis attitude of yours.

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Minxing It Up

So I know I talk a lot about working at a comic shop, about how much fun it is, how I really dig it and so on, but I do have another job. I work a video store. Not that much different if you think about it. Anyway, I’ve been at the video store for about seven years now (on and off) and the other day I was talking this mother. She was lamenting over how hard it was to find videos to show her daughters that had positive messages. She stopped showing Disney films after the Little Mermaid said it was o.k. to run off with the first guy you meet and marry them when you’re only a teenager. The Mary Kate and Ashley line, not the most progressive in message to begin with, became taboo when starting at the age of twelve the girls started pursuing boys for 80 minutes. So I did what I always do, recommended Princess Bride and the films of Miyazaki.


Well, it’s not a movie but if I see that mother again I’ll tell her to purchase the comics going out under the Minx line, DC comic’s newest imprint aimed at young women. I must admit that at first I was a little concerned about the line. With their digest format, it seemed the DC was simply trying to market towards a fan base that purchases more manga in America than almost everyone else. In my experience, which is limited, the only thing that manga teaches a young woman is that a mini-skirt is the best outfit for demon fighting. However, the graphic novels coming out from Minx are about as far from manga as possible and nowhere do you see a panty shot.

With two titles out, P.L.A.I.N Janes and Re-Gifters, the line succeeds in getting across messages of self-reliance, maturity, finding purpose, and friendship. Yes, relationships and crushes do figure into the equation, but these are stories aimed at teenagers and teenagers think do think about that topic a lot. What’s nice about the message in this regards is when the puppy love feelings are not reciprocated the young women are not crushed, are not devastated, they move on with their lives.


What’s even better about the line is that just because it’s aimed at females between the ages of 8 and 14 doesn’t mean it misses the mark with other audiences. I’m a twenty-six year old male and I’ve really enjoyed both books. They are thoughtful and honestly written by A-list talent like Cecil Castellucci and Mike Carey. Unless you’re only reading comics to see some gianormous breasts held in place by a push-up bra and some spandex, you will able to appreciate the graphic novels as solid storytelling. I know this blog doesn’t exactly hit tons of readers or anything like that, but for those few who take the time out of their day to read it, support the Minx line so that DC will continue producing it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the heads up. I'm so glad to hear that at least someone has the sense to write something that is actually sending a positive message to young girls. I'll check it out. God knows I'm looking for sustitute role models for my little cousins in place of the Bratz dolls and other gender-role guiding crap.

1:23 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home