Have a drink. It might help that mortis attitude of yours.

Monday, June 18, 2007

Is That Number Ever Meaningless?

Hide yourself in a bunker; put on your tin foil cap, it’s time for more conspiracy theories.

So I was combing Internetland for information on Hank Henshaw (post to come tomorrow, hopefully) when I came across this gem.

It’s a cover from the 2nd run of Green Lantern back in 1967. In this story Sinestro steals the central battery from Oa and uses it to make rings. He gives these rings to common thugs and criminals and forms the “Evil Green Lanterns.” They fly through the universe doing bad deeds, powered by their slightly different oath.

"In brightest day, in blackest night, no justice shall escape my sight. Let those who worship justice's might, beware my power, Evil Green Lantern's light!"

It’s kind of brilliant.

In the end, the villains’ willpower is no match for the real Green Lantern Corps and they are defeated. The whole reason I noticed the cover in the first place was because its startling similarity to August’s Green Lantern #22.


Oh, and just to make it slightly eerier, the number to that old Green Lantern comic was 52.

4 Comments:

Blogger SallyP said...

52? Well, crap in a hat. Sinestro really does seem to have some issues, doesn't he?

11:34 AM

 
Blogger TS said...

Good serendipitous '52' catch! I'm off to buy more aluminum foil now...

BTW, I've tagged you for the Eight Random Things meme, which only means that I've enjoyed reading your blog, so by all means, bypass at will.

3:17 PM

 
Blogger ChrisM said...

Wow! Great catch! I'll bet this factors into all of this somehow. I can't believe that being issue 52 is a coincidence!

I love that GL 52 cover though!! A classic!

3:55 PM

 
Blogger Jon said...

Man, Sinestro has no rhythm. Like, whatsoever.

7:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home